Monday, October 6, 2014

Rollercoasters and Weight Loss Evangelism

Having cancer (doesn’t matter what kind or what stage) is like being on a rollercoaster.  One day you’re up; the next you’re down. . .sometimes way, way down.  Bottoming out can happen when physical symptoms like pain, fatigue, nausea, etc. are challenging, but it can happen just as easily when thoughts take the mind to sad places.  The combination of physical and mental symptoms makes for a wild ride that can often end up in one particular sad place:  Overwhelming Disappointment.

You don’t have to have cancer, or really any kind of physical limitation or disease, to feel disappointed in or betrayed by your body.  Current culture is so focused on physical perfection, attractiveness, even sexiness, that it causes self-esteem and confidence issues.  One off-shoot of this focus is what we might call “Weight-Loss Evangelism,” or the religion of the body.  Not too long ago, I came across the very end of a television show dedicated to the extreme weight loss of its two participants.  I was impressed by their level of dedication and effort.  They had certainly improved their physical health and, with new clothes, hairstyles, and makeup, looked better than ever.  They were met onstage by their coach, a trim young man in Friday casual gear, who embraced them.  All three were in tears. Uplifting music swelled in the background as the three faced an ocean of rapt faces in the audience. One of the participants received the microphone and declared to the coach, “You have saved me!  In every way that a person can be saved, you have saved me!”  Really?  Saved in every way?  I guess, according to our body-obsessed culture, this might seem to be true.  But it hints at a deeply disturbing lack of perspective.  Still, I have to admit the “body-obsession” has caused me problems, as well.

I was getting dressed for the day last week, lamenting quietly about how much of my flexibility I have lost.   This stray thought led me downhill fast.  I began comparing my physical state before the cancer to my physical state now.  Here’s a synopsis:  Before:  flexible, strong, slim, proportional, nice hair, few aches and pains, attractive.  Now:  stiff, weakened, heavier, disproportional (in my mind I used the word “contorted”), weird hair, chronic aches and pains, ugly.  I contemplated how I had been able to run for miles each day before the cancer but now can’t run at all.  I thought about the compliments I had received on my physical attractiveness before the cancer.  Now children in stores point at me, one even loudly comparing me to Cailleu, the bald cartoon character.  My thoughts grew dark as I focused on the “ruin” my body had become. 

A sudden idea entered my mind.  What would God say to me in this situation?  Just as suddenly, the answer came:  “This cancer is what your body is for.  I did not give you your body with the expectation that it would be or stay perfect; I gave it to you so that you might have mortal experiences that would strengthen your spirit.”  All of the darkness dropped away in the face of this enlightenment – I had been viewing my body with a mortal perspective, not an eternal perspective.  It gave me a new understanding of the cancer and of my Heavenly Father’s love for me.  As it turns out, it was a good thing I was so physically strong when the cancer attacked.  If I had not been, I would not have survived.  And living through, living with, the cancer is something God felt was important for me to do.  Why? To torture me?  To punish me for my imperfections and errors? Certainly not!  Rather, to provide me with a deeply personal, intense experience designed to elevate and perfect my spirit.  Designed to help me better understand and emulate Christ.  The end goal: to help me find my way back to him! 

Last weekend, I was able to view the General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, of which I am a member.  This conference consists of a series of talks on gospel topics interspersed with prayer and sacred music.  The final comments of one of the sessions of conference were given by the President of the church, Thomas S. Monson.  His words brought comfort to me and the Holy Ghost witnessed to me that what he said was true.  He spoke about the many pathways Jesus had walked during his mortal sojourn, comparing them to the Savior’s spiritual journeys.  He then made it relevant to all of us by reminding us that Jesus said, “Come follow me.”  This invitation is an injunction to NOT expect a life free from suffering.  Pres. Monson continued, “Each of us will walk the path of disappointment . . . temptation. . .pain. . .we as servants can expect no more than the Master.” 


The Master’s path was infinitely more difficult than our own, but even before Jesus’ mortal ministry began, we are told in the Bible that he was “a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief.” Clearly, He suffered loss, hardship, sorrow, and pain in the course of His early life.  Yet He was, even then, the “light of the world,” the “Word made flesh,” God’s only begotten Son.  Why would we ever assume that a life free of troubles is what we are meant for?  Christ Himself asks us to join Him on an uphill journey.  Along the way, we will have all manner of troubles, but these will strengthen our spiritual selves.  When the way is too rough to bear alone, Christ is with us to help us overcome.  What we CAN expect is that this pathway, fraught as it is with difficulty, will save us in every way – will take us home.   

No comments:

Post a Comment